The Amazing Cucumber
This information was in the New York Times several weeks ago as part of their "Spotlight on the Home" series that highlighted creative and fanciful ways to solve common problems.
1. Cucumbers contain most of the vitamins you need every day. Just one cucumber contains Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B3, Vitamin B5, Vitamin B6, Folic Acid, Vitamin C, Calcium, Iron, Potassium, Zinc, Magnesium and Phosphorus.
2. Feeling tired in the afternoon? Put down the caffeinated soda and pick up a cucumber. Cucumbers are a good source of Vitamins B and Carbohydrates which can provide that quick pick-me-up that can last for hours.
3. Tired of your bathroom mirror fogging up after a shower? Try rubbing a cucumber slice along the mirror. It will eliminate the fog and provide a soothing, spa-like fragrance.
4. Are grubs and slugs ruining your flower planting beds? Place a few slices in a small pie tin and your garden will be free of pests all season long. The chemicals in the cucumber react with the aluminium to give off a scent undetectable to humans but drive garden pests crazy and make them flee the area.
5. Looking for a fast and easy way to remove cellulite before going out or going to the pool? Try rubbing a slice or two of cucumber along your problem area for a few minutes. The phyto-chemicals in the cucumber cause the collagen in your skin to tighten, firming up the outer layer and reducing the visibility of cellulite. Works great on wrinkles too!!!
6. Want to avoid a hangover or terrible headache? Eat a few cucumber slices before going to bed and wake up refreshed and headache free. Cucumbers contain enough sugar, vitamin B and electrolytes to replenish essential nutrients the body lost, keeping everything in equilibrium, avoiding both a hangover and headache!!
7. Looking to fight off that afternoon or evening snacking binge? Cucumbers have been used for centuries and often used by European traders, trappers and explorers for quick meals to thwart off starvation.
8. Have an important meeting or job interview and you realise that you don't have enough time to polish your shoes? Rub a freshly cut cucumber over the shoe, its chemicals will provide a quick and durable shine that not only looks great but also repels water.
9. Out of WD-40 household oil and need to fix a squeaky hinge? Take a cucumber slice and rub it along the problematic hinge, and voila, the squeak is gone!
10. Stressed out and don't have time for massage, facial or visit to the spa? Cut up an entire cucumber and place it in a boiling pot of water. The chemicals and nutrients from the cucumber will react with boiling water and be released in the steam, creating a soothing, relaxing aroma that has been shown to reduce stress in new mothers and college students during final examinations.
11. Just finished a business lunch and realise you don't have gum or mints? Take a slice of cucumber and press it to the roof of your mouth with your tongue for 30 seconds to eliminate bad breath. The phyto-chemicals will kill the bacteria in your mouth responsible for causing bad breath.
12. Looking for a 'green' way to clean your faucets, sinks or stainless steel? Take a slice of cucumber and rub it on the surface you want to clean, not only will it remove years of tarnish and bring back the shine, but is won't leave streaks and won't harm your fingers or fingernails while you clean.
13. Using a pen and made a mistake? Take the outside of the cucumber and slowly use it to erase the pen writing, also works great on crayons and markers that the kids have used to decorate the walls!!
A Special Blessing: The Prescription Glasses Leela
Ana is a dedicated Vibrionics practitioner who regularly visits and treats patients in villages near Puttaparthi with 108CCs. Recently she found that many people had eye problems in one particular village. Though medicine could help, twenty-seven of them required prescription glasses that they could not afford. Ana explained to them that she only dispensed Vibro medicines and that she does not provide spectacles. As Ana and her husband were leaving, they requested her to bring prescription glasses for them on her next visit and her husband half-jokingly said that they would see what Swami could do!
A few weeks later, a friend came to see Ana and her husband. He was in a dilemma because just before leaving his country someone gave him a box of prescription glasses to take to India to give to people who needed them. Reluctantly, this man brought them with him to Puttaparthi and tried to offer them to Swami but was told that Swami didn’t want them. So, just like that, out of the blue, a box of prescription glasses fell into the laps of Ana and her husband!
On their next visit to the village, they took
the box with them hoping that at least a few
pairs would suit the people who needed
glasses. The excited villagers crowded around
the box. One person picked up a pair and tried
it on but it didn’t suit his eyes. Ana offered
him another pair that turned out to be just
perfect! Another man took the first pair, tried
it on and found it just right for his eyes! One
by one, to the delight and astonishment of all
those present, all those who needed glasses
found a pair that was just right for their eyes
and gave them perfect vision. One pair was left in the box and Ana was just about to pack up when a lady hurried up to them and said that she also needed glasses. Ana was not surprised when the last pair in the box fitted the lady perfectly!
Every single pair of random prescription glasses found a home and each villager who needed glasses received a pair that gave him perfect vision! Can this be the work of anyone other than the All-Knowing and All- Pervasive Lord Sai!
Om Sai Ram